Sunday, October 11, 2009

Cloud Computing and Data Loss

This is scary stuff, with T-Mobile potentially losing all personal data from its Sidekick customers due to a hardware fault.

I think I do a decent job of backing up the data in my office desktop and my laptop, having  two extra HD to store everything about once every couple of months (not to mention the usual syncing between home and work). I've had some friends and co-workers losing important data and losing a year of hard work with it.

With all the talk about cloud computing and firms using the web to outsource their software and storage needs, it is really scary to think how firms can be affected by losing important data, not to mention lawsuits if the firm also loses its customer's data.

I think that T-Mobile might be in trouble but given the small print in US disclaimers,its lawyers will are more than likely to find a way to avoid liability...

No comments:

Post a Comment